Friday, April 18, 2008

Pressure

Today I have a headache. Tension and tightness surrounding the place where the tip of my spine meets my skull is dark purple, if you will, like that of a plum but without the sweetness. The uncomfortable stress makes me wish I had a USB outlet in the side of my ribs where I could plug in a high-tech gizmo that tells me exactly what is wrong: Error 243: Low sodium levels. Error 538: Replenish Vitamin D please. Error 429: Hydration problem. Drink more water. Error 291: Excessive exposure to radioactive energy. Stop working in front of a computer. Error 731: You haven't been doing much yoga lately; you need to relax. Dammit, what does that non-existent machine know, anyhow? So, after waking up feeling ill, I called work and told them I wouldn't be in today. The past two hours have been spent cuddling up to my pillow under the covers, trying to keep all the light out and trying to keep all the warmth in. The level of effectiveness of this treatment is not measurable at this point (i.e., headache still remains strong). I am aware that the benefits of laying low today may not be noticed until tomorrow or later, which is a much longer wait than, say, taking a pill to cure headaches, but sometimes I feel like I need to go through this kind of thing without altering my state in any way other than rest and tea and good thoughts. You could call me self-masochistic, but I like to call myself a naturalist. I am going to follow at least one piece of advice from my high-tech gizmo I've aptly named Howard the Health Checker, and I'm going to stop writing and turn off this computer.

1 Comments:

At 11:06 a.m., April 19, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Poor poopsie schmookums! I hope you're feeling better today.
-sp

 

Post a Comment

<< Home