Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Victoria, BC

I'm sitting in the UVic Library, where Britt is upstairs reading articles and I've been writing for the past half hour all about how this library smells ("of dust, old paper, and kind of reminiscent of the smell of older people") and how my period cramps are like the ocean ("Waves of pain rolling in and out slower than ocean waves, but faster than the tide. The pain feels like my insides are being twisted like a dish rag rung out to remove all excess water. Then slowly the pain retreats, untwists, and relaxes to a release, a warmth, a lovely opening from a tight, dark place. At once my face relaxes, my body lets go, but the knowledge that the dish cloth will soon be twisted again resides in the back of my mind the instant I let go. And, as expected by pattern, the twisting gradually increases once again.") The cramps have eased, thankfully, and now I'm filling out online surveys for requests from Parks Canada and Dalhousie University. I figure it helps them, and by completing the survey I may get a $500 cheque in the mail if my name gets drawn (if I have absorbed anything from Brian I'm hoping I've gained some of his random luck by osmosis). It's gloriously sunny here in Victoria. There's no need to constantly wear a toque. And the buds are coming alive on the trees, assisted I'm sure by the sweet spring song of birds. It's lovely here. I've almost forgotten all the snow in Nelson, my down jacket, and the feeling of frozen boogers. I remember now why I loved living in Victoria. I spent five years here while I did my undergraduate degree at UVic. I was younger at the time, learning how to live without the constant support of my parents, but it was easy to be here. It feels safe to be here. The energy all around is upbeat, motivating, and warm. Part of my opinion on this, I'm sure, is biased because I'm staying with my good buddies Britt and Kip. They're like family, and I enjoy just being near them. The group of us are planning on having a bonfire on the beach tonight after our yoga class. This ought to be good. Then, I'll head back to Vancouver tomorrow in preparation for my Yoga Therapy course. I'll be near Commercial Drive for the next two weeks. You may see me chumming up to the Italians at the local coffee joint, or slurping up some gelato while standing on the street corner listening to some girl play the guitar. I'm looking forward to writing about my experiences while in Vancouver. It will be a different life for a short stint - life without Brian by my side, life within the heart of a BIG city, life with learning on my mind.

1 Comments:

At 10:14 a.m., February 20, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

mmmm...Victoria...I loved it when I was there last year in March...very Halifax :)

i love that you are on a mini-lifebreak...stepping out of your context in Nelson, with Brian...and into learning again...I think it will feel really good...and this is a natural progression for you in my mind ;)

hello to britt, kip, sarah, and The Drive....sip on a good coffee for me too...I loved the drive; in fact, Sarah and I had a rather fantastic day on The Drive last year in February.......

peace.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home