Saturday, January 26, 2008

Martha Montie 1913 - 2008

Yesterday evening, my last remaining grandparent, Grandma Martha Montie, passed away. There is no doubt in my mind that she is in a better place now, free of her 94-year-old body and into her new, younger one, no doubt still wearing dresses with floral patterns and matching broaches. She was a woman of baking, a caring woman who always offered food to you when you appeared at her door, a woman with the biggest heart around. She was the best kind of grandma - the one that was big and soft to squeeze with many hugs, the one that took care of me when I was sick as a child, the one who made me homemade chicken noodle soup, the one who put an extra blanket on me when I was sleeping, the one who was quiet but with a sparkle in her eyes that no one could deny. She was a collector of salt and pepper shakers, of photographs of British Royalty and those of her grandchildren, of things pretty, of things old, of things new, and even the little candies given away with the bill at restaurants (she cleverly tucked these into her purse when she thought no one was looking, but I always saw her and smiled). She could make something crafty and beautiful out of scraps. She liked Bingo. She made the best perogies in the world - see for yourself: As I'm writing this, I'm listening to Jack Johnson's album, In Between Dreams, and the song "If I Could" brings to me thoughts of new life and passing... The lyrics below intertwine my thoughts of Grandma's death and how it seems appropriate that there are so many new babies being born into my friend circles right now giving life to death. And how I believe a piece of Grandma's soul now lives in all of us, so she will always be right here with me. Down the middle, drops one more grain of sand. They say that new life makes losing life easier to understand. Words are kind, they ease the mind. I miss my old friend. And though we gotta go, we'll keep a piece of your soul. One goes out, one comes in. Grandma Montie was warm and wonderful and loved very much, and she will be missed by her entire family.

3 Comments:

At 10:51 a.m., January 27, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My sympathy to you and your family. This is a lovely tribute to your grandma and has brought me some tears.

Heather

 
At 11:02 a.m., February 13, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dee: I enjoyed meeting you and Brian at Aunt Martha's funeral service. I recorded the audio and will be sending it to Marion Botten in a day or so. I was wondering if you could email me the video clip of Aunt Martha so I can add it to my geneology records.
Thanks, Keith Unterschute

 
At 11:11 a.m., February 13, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Keith Unterschute (keith@salire.com)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home