Thursday, December 20, 2007

Mosaic, anyone?

If you have ever wanted to do a mosaic, but were too afraid of the complications of such a task, well, gosh darnit, I'm here to say, "It's easy as pie!" Well, maybe as easy as eating pie, not making pie, because I think making pie is kinda hard. Anyway... I had an idea to make a mosaic sign for my brother's hideyhole (the affectionate name for the place he sleeps). I bought some random tiles from the hardware store ($5.00 for nine tiles of 4" X 4"). We bought some pre-made tile grout ($8.00) because I didn't want to buy a 10 lb. bag of powder grout (I don't intend on doing that many mosaics). And, we asked the dudes in the back warehouse of the hardware store if they had any bits of wood that they were going to toss out (don't ask the lady at the front cash because she'll say they don't do that), and we got some free wood (10" X 2.5 ft.). Once we were home, I took the back end of an axe to bust up the tiles into appropriate sizes (ram down on the backside of the tiles so you don't chip the good side), placed all the tiles into the positions I thought most beautiful, then used regular school glue to stick all the tiles down. After the glue dries (30 minutes), put on some dish gloves, dunk your hand into the tile grout and work it into the grooves between the tiles. Scrape off all the excess and wait for it to dry (24 hours). Take a wet cloth to the tiles to get them all shiny again, and presto!! Mosaic sign extraordinaire! Now, where's that pie? I'd like some pie now.