Thursday, January 17, 2008

The Gratitude Rock

Today, I received a gift: a gratitude rock. It is to remain in my pocket, and each time I reach into my pocket and feel it, I'm supposed to think about things I'm grateful for. A client in the occupational rehab program gave this to me. He's a spiritual man, one with a brief history of harsh accidents causing his body to resemble that of one 50 years older. Today, he was in pain and I saw this and sat with him to let him talk it through. Later in the day, he pulled me aside and said he appreciates that I truly care, and is grateful that I'm there working with him and the other clients. He gave me his gratitude rock and told me how it works and said, "It's okay; I have another one I can use."That exchange really warmed my heart. There is true value to listening with compassion. Other clients in the program have also mentioned how they appreciate the personal interactions I give them and how it's nice just to talk, and be listened to. This is something I value too - and I feel it's an important and natural part of healing the body and mind. On a bigger level, volunteering for this rehab program has given me a purpose. I feel useful, helpful, and part of a process to help people be better, healthier, happier. This gives me a good feeling, and I really enjoy it. I'm getting as much out of the interactions as the clients get from me. This is a wonderful step in the right direction for me - something to focus on for the future. Even with all this goodness, sometimes I still feel a little low, a little tired, not altogether content. Will a paid job make this feeling dissolve? Essentially no, not necessarily. That's when I come back to the gratitude rock and think, "Man, I'm with Brian and we're in this beautiful area, we're eating well, paying the rent, and I have five days a week where I can concentrate on my yoga studies, keep looking for meaningful work, and enjoy being here. I'm so extremely lucky and I should be grateful for this time, these opportunities... And, in the end, good things will keep coming." I trust that.

1 Comments:

At 12:53 p.m., January 21, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

amen sister.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home