Thursday, March 20, 2008

Greg & Johnny

The first round of visitors during this month was my brother Greg and his friend Earladeen. After a monster of a drive (something that took 12 hours instead of 7, all due to other peoples' accidents, two flat tires, and 100 km of driving on three wheels and a rim - yeeeouch). Once they finally got here, we had a blast. Even Con (the owner of the house we're in) got in on some ping pong, but he used what he affectionately calls the 'Cave Man Bat' (a piece of driftwood) instead of a normal paddle. I tried the Cave Man Bat out for a spin, and it works pretty well, especially for the extended curve balls. Watch out for the splinters. In the short span of time Greg and Earladeen were with us, we managed to get into all sorts of trouble, including a full day of skiing at Whitewater. Greg, who was tired of his old school "Force 9" skis ended up trying out and buying a pair of demo skis (the 'Movement' skis on the far left in the photo below, newly named 'Gas' and 'Hole') It was a spectacular day to ski: soft snow, and plenty of sun. The weekend flew by, as did Greg's drive back home, in comparison to his drive up here! The following day, I made the final decision on what to do with my beloved Johnny, my 1981 Pontiac Grand LeMans (it used to be my Grandpa Johnny's car)...... Well, this photo shows all that's left of him:I ripped this label off his rear end just before the auto wreckers took him into their yard, for good. Johnny was such a great car. He sucked gas like it was coming straight from the bottomless pop fountain, but he kept me safe, he drove me all over Canada and back, and we were best of buddies for the past eight years (plus all the years I got rides in Johnny when I was a wee kid). Johnny, you rock, buddy. Here's to you chillin' out in Nelson for your remaining days until you get squished and become a small fragment of a new Volkswagon. "Kah-Chink!" [beer glass cheer].

1 Comments:

At 11:40 a.m., March 26, 2008, Blogger Unknown said...

Oh Johnny!

Where have you gone!?!

Your smooth rump, your sway and shimmy, your ability to attract only the BEST kind of attention...

You will be missed, but I will look for a glimmer of you in freshly minted cars - your essence caught in the moment of sparkle, sunshine on windshield, blinding.

In my blindness, I will think of the Spirit of Johnny - our flirtatious relationship, running from rain and cloud in Halifax to Ottawa spring - it was one of my grandest car adventures to date. Without Johnny, it would have just been any other long distance drive...

Rest well, dear old Johnny of the Grand Le Mans - you served above and beyond expectations and always in style.

Peace.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home