Friday, June 22, 2007

Am I going to hell?

I'm fairly certain I'm going to retreat to a very hot place when I leave this world. Why? Well.... besides allowing one very ugly blanket to remain in our household (more on that in a minute), I sell stuff to people all day. Ugh, I'm a salesperson. And, well, I sold a $450 Gore-Tex jacket (that's the 50% off sale price) to an eighty-year-old woman whose sole purpose for choosing the jacket was because she liked the colour. The jacket is going to outlive her, no doubt, but she doesn't really need an expensive, purple, three-layered Gore-Tex jacket with pit-zips and a snow guard for the waist - not unless she's moving to Banff and picking up backcountry skiing as her other hobby next to lawn bowling. The only thing that makes this all okay is that she seemed happy with the jacket and will probably wear it and say to her friends, "Oooh, isn't the colour perfect to match my hair?" (and her hair was a tad on the purple side, as many older ladies manage to obtain, somehow). Well, if I'm going to hell, at least I won't be needing a Gore-Tex jacket.
And now onto the dreaded blanket that still lives.... My brother, Greg, who must be in Edmonton visiting our friends Russ and Tara, thought he would do a little fancy action on the computer and sent me this photo below. He wrote, "I've just bought a new Blankie - I found it at the Bo-Yah-Brian store."

I love it. See? Even on the blanket here, the moose is bigger.

Even though the blanket lives on, somehow we're managing to make new friends here in Nelson (we'll wait to see if they're keepers once they've been formally introduced to the blanket). This evening, we had a beer and some dinner with Lisa and Dana, from London, ON and Seattle, WA, respectively: two separate friends who came up to us randomly at Kathmandu over the past two days and gave us their phone numbers because... well, because they think we're cool? I dunno, but these gals are great. We've decided to meet up on a weekly basis to keep in touch and have some fun. A big group friends back in Halifax do a weekly stitch and bitch plus spaghetti potluck - it was on a Monday night, the same night as Hockey Night in Canada, so they called it, "Spaghetti Night in Canada". We're thinking of doing the same thing, but here in New Zealand, so we'll call it Spaghetti Night in New Zealand for now and change the name appropriately when we're good and roused up on wine and spaghetti next Thursday.

Until then, we'll be working our pants off at Kathmandu selling more outdoor goods to folks. "You must need a pair of gaitors for the office, right?... It's 50% off, how can it not be a good deal?... No, that doesn't look too tight on you [the person is sweating and obviously uncomfortable], but these pants are usually a small fit so perhaps one size up would work better... Hmm, yes, purple is indeed your colour... How about some merino boxer shorts for those cold nights?..." Actually, I got a pair of the merino boxers for the ladies and they rock. Okay, I'm not going to sell you stuff on this blog, so I'd better get to bed and prep for tomorrow's havock: the first weekend day of our big winter blowout sale. It's going to be cah-ray-zee.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home