Saturday, June 16, 2007

Moose? Or Horse?

Okay, so Brian and I were talking about how much damage would be done to our Corolla wagon if we hit a horse on the road versus a moose. We have a bet going about which animal is bigger, and would therefore do more damage - a moose or a horse? I think it's a moose, by far, and Brian seems convinced it's a horse (he can't be right, and no, Clydesdale's don't count). The conditions of the bet were that we take a poll of our friends at the pub and if the popular vote is that moose are bigger, then I get to watch Brian take a match to that silly and retched Sphinx fleece blanket he somehow managed to buy and bring to our lovely home . However, if Brian is right, and horses are in fact bigger than moose, then I agreed to get my photo taken (smiling and appearing to love the situation) while wrapped in the silly and retched blanket, and then post it on my blog as if I actually liked the UGLY blanket. Well, I guess that really doesn't do much now that I've blurted this out on my blog, but if he wins, which he won't, then I'll gladly do it for merely a few laughs... The commoners at the pub seemed to agree with me that Moose were indeed bigger, especially in height, but they weren't totally sure about the weight. Any thoughts?

6 Comments:

At 12:50 a.m., June 17, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh so totally and completely moose.
Love, Sarah

 
At 6:45 a.m., June 17, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I absolutely, positively second that.

Cough up the blanket, Brian.

Your place sounds great. I'm jealous as heck.

Thanks for the posts (I'm behind and catching up!)...I love your blog :)

BIGlove

 
At 6:59 a.m., June 17, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

PS: Did you know that apparently there are some Canadian moose in NZ? I read an article in Canadian Geographic last year, and here's what I remember. Back in the day, the colonialists decided that NZ should be a 'wild game park', not unilke the notions of the 'Jurassic Park' conept. Except, in this case, they would hunt the animals. So, moose were shipped, in boats, for days maybe weeks, across the oceans to NZ from Canada. I forget how many different 'rounds' were shipped, but needless to say, there were often only a few that survived the trip. These were released into the wild, but because their numbers were so low there was doubt that they would be able to survive and build any kind of population. Anyway, I guess more recently, there has been some biological evidence (AKA: scat, feces, poop - lol) that suggested they were still around in particular areas. I guess there has also been some evidence of antler rubbing on trees and stuff too. However, they haven't actually been sighted in years. No one has seen them. I think the title of the article I read was called 'the Elusive Moose' or something, which sounds like it's a pretty fitting title. Blah, blah, blah....here ends your lecture on moose in NZ. ;)

Watch out for those moose when you're driving!

 
At 12:24 p.m., June 17, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The moose by far. The problem with the moose is that when most people hit them they take the legs out. That in turn allows the ton or so of moose to come right through the front windshield. Hitting a moose in a small car is almost certain death.

And on that happy note......:)

Not-so-anonymous Matt Poppe

 
At 7:17 a.m., June 18, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is fun. I googled "Hinterland's Who's Who: The Moose" and this is what I came up with.

"[A bull moose] stands taller at the shoulder than the largest saddle horse. (booya! Brian) Big bulls weigh up to 600 kg in most of Canada; the giant Alaska-Yukon subspecies weighs as much as 800 kg."

I couldn't come up with anything too definitive about horses, but I know from a class I took in undergrad that horses are usually around 400-450kg.

So, I totally agree that Dee should have a bonfire with Brian's blanket. Burn baby burn!!!

PS: Did you know that moose can dive 5m in the water for food? That's crazy!

PPS: Sorry I missed your call Dee. I've listened to your message a bunch of times to hear your voice! I'm glad you're having so much fun :)

-t

 
At 1:35 p.m., June 18, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Poor Brian, you get to burn your favorite blankie...moose by far!!!

mum

 

Post a Comment

<< Home