Sunday, November 26, 2006

Am I in Germany or New Zealand?

It feels as though I've been warped from NZ all the way to Germany because my travelling companion is German with a heavy German accent, and we are now staying at Hansi's haus in Tokoroa. Hansi is this big, strong, compassionate, humourous and lovable German who has taken us in, allowed us to do laundry and internet, fed us good food and plenty of beer, driven us to some amazing hotsprings, and is about to take us out for dinner. He's a wonderful man, and his dogs are well trained, and his neighbour, Elaine, is a real sweetheart. She often says, "Golly, golly, gosh, I say!!" and calls me and Birgit her "lovely, darling, beautiful travellers". Hansi is trying to get me in shape. I've got my own stool to raise me up off the floor so I can reach the bar on the ceiling to do curl ups. He's got those crazy grip strentheners like my grandpa had as well. I'm working on my strength, but his biceps are still three times the size of mine... The van we are going to borrow looks great. It's a 1986 Nissan van with a weird stick shift and plenty of room in the back for us to sleep if we need it. Hooray for free vehicles!! As I mentioned before, we went to a hotsprings today with Hansi and Elaine. Here are a few pics from the hour-long road trip.
Soaking in the HOT hot springs... 'twas nice.... and free.
After the dip in the pools, we ate potato wedges with delicious sauces of sour cream, salsa, and sweet sauce. The potato wedges came with spirals of radishes.
Dee follows by example:
I became the designated driver, while Birgit and Hans downed beer. Hans can drink one bottle in about two gulps. He's my hero.
I took a small walk up to the actual hot springs and got some great photos.
So, I drove on the left side of the road for the first time, and I have to say, it was easier than I thought. I only put the windshield wipers on as a left turn indicator once, and it got a big laugh from everyone in the car. It is not strange to drive on the left side of the road, but it is strange to be sitting on the right side of the car in the driver's seat. We are off to go for dinner in the 'big' town of Tokoroa (smaller than Banff!). Good eatings and CHEERS!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home