Thursday, December 14, 2006

Barry, the accordian player

As we were driving up to the farm, the radio was playing "Should I stay or should I go now" by the Clash... Sign of what's ahead?.... Upon arrival at the latest WOOFing farm, I made homemade mayonnaise while listening to Barry, this old dude from down the road, play the accordian. He was really good! I couldn't wipe the smile off my face. Then I tried my hand at making whipped cream. No one told me that if you whip it too long, the whey and the fat separate and you end up with.... butter. I learned this the hard way, but the butter we made was fantastic: garlic and onion butter. Lena is another WOOFer staying at the farm. She's a very sweet German, who we adore. The owners are wonderful folks, Pete and Sabrina, and they have two little girls. One of them was nice enough to bring a fresh cow's eyeball into our room (they butchered a cow that afternoon). She left it for us on the table and then began touching the door, the flashlight and almost Beth's water bottle! For Beth and I, two self-proclaimed germ-a-phobes, it was quite a test of our ability to remain sane. "Where's the hand sanitizer?" And to further our interesting adventures on this farm, we had none other than curried lamb for dinner last night!! At first, we thought it was the fresh cow from this afternoon, but it didn't taste quite right. Bad cow? Suddenly, I realized it was LAMB! We were too polite to tell them we didn't really like lamb. Dee's solution was to plug her nose while eating it, and Beth's solution was to put into small bits on the side of her plate. Successful methods, and definitely necessary! I'm getting better with my germ issues. I barely flinched when Pepita (the littlest girl) coughed six centimetres from my face. We haven't had showers much at all, which is really saying something for Beth and I, so we're getting used to this farm life.... sort of.

2 Comments:

At 7:46 p.m., December 14, 2006, Blogger Unknown said...

hmmm..globetrotting germaphobes, eh?! bound for trouble!

but have you read fastfoodnation? nothing is as 'germ free' or even 'clean' as we would like to think it is..frightening really!

that said, this is your time to relax and challenge your conventions...so you're hanging out with some smelly hippies and starting to get a little smelly yourself..well, whatever. just have a good time. it shold be all pleasure...and doesn't the beach double as shower? the salt water is so great for skin and hair ;)

mmmmbeach.sojealous.

thanks for your email. i echo your sentiments back to you...i'm so glad we are using the technology to OUR advantage!

biglove.

 
At 10:37 p.m., December 15, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dee
A cow's eyeball? Tastey! Now that's what I'm talking about! I see you basking in the sun on the beach... and Vancouver is expecting snow this weekend. Again. All I can say is lady, you have stellar timing! Smooches, Barah Puger

 

Post a Comment

<< Home