Monday, May 26, 2008

Visuddha - The Throat Chakra

The throat chakra just came into my attention during the past few weeks – it told me to pay attention to it. My throat and voice have been “off” lately. It’s like I my voice was coming from a place three centimetres above the place that it should really come from (the vocal chords). And when I spoke, my words seemed of a higher pitch, a lesser power, and hard to force out – that’s totally it! it seems I was forcing my speech. I tried to lower the pitch of my voice, forcefully, but it didn't work. It’s like I could only speak in one manner and it inherently didn't feel right. But at the same time, I couldn't seem to change it to what would feel right (which is the deep, slow, open, honest, loud and vibrant yet soft and smooth voice that I get when I’m in a yoga retreat for more than a few days). I’ve experienced the normal speech that I know I want to have, and so realized that my current speech was tilted and altered in some way. I thought about this for about a week or more, trying to figure out why my speech was like this. It finally came to me – I’m not speaking my truth. There was something bothering me and I wasn’t voicing it: I have been wanting to talk to my current employer about the date I want to leave my job this summer, but also ask for a raise for the remainder of my time employed with him. I have never, ever asked for a raise because all of my jobs have been four months or less in duration, and at that time I never really thought about asking. For some reason, at this job I feel like I deserve more for the work that I do because I’m doing it full-hearted, with good intentions and I’m basically working really hard. So, after chickening out for a full week because it didn’t feel like the right time to ask (which is also, coincidentally, the time I started having more mucous and scratchiness in my throat area), I finally said to myself that I have to do this because it will honour myself. It will honour the good work that I feel I am doing. So, I walked into my employer’s office and informed him when I expected to leave Nelson after our wedding, and that I knew it was an odd request seeing as I’m leaving in a few months, but that I would like to have a raise. The best part of all this is that I don’t even care if I get a monetary raise or not; the fact that I honoured myself and asked for it is so rewarding for me. And, now that a week has passed since talking to my employer, my voice is a little lighter, a little softer, a little more together, and a hell of a lot less scratchy. I think there is much, much more to this adventure, and that further honesty to myself and honesty in speech can be my road to a lower, easy voice that says what I truly desire to say, and not small chit-chat just for the sake of making noise and filling in space.

3 Comments:

At 1:00 p.m., May 27, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So, did you get the raise?

 
At 8:09 a.m., May 29, 2008, Blogger Unknown said...

THAT'S what I was going to ask...did you get what you asked for?

however...I appreciate that 'getting the raise or not' is not what you were most amazed with in the experience - you were to busy being aware of your throat to worry about whether or not you get the money...glad to hear it is loosening up :)

LOVE

 
At 8:41 a.m., May 29, 2008, Blogger Dee said...

At the time I asked, he said he'd take at look at numbers and get back to me.

Just yesterday, he got back to me and said that I've only worked 300 or so hours, and that he normally doesn't give raises to people until they have worked 1000 hours. So, nope, no raise.

Regardless, my voice is still feeling a little deeper and more at ease since then...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home