Monday, October 23, 2006

Ticket Purchased

After making the decision to further postpone finding 'real' work and instead spend the better part of the next year discovering and working in New Zealand, I did some online research trying to find a cheap ticket. It turns out Air New Zealand has an array of special offers, and even though there are plenty of restrictions, somehow I managed to fit into a bracket of some sort and got a ticket from Vancouver, BC to Auckland, NZ for a decent amount of cash: around $1500 including all taxes and fees. Based on the prices I found online from other carriers, this was a sweeeet deal. Impending departure date: November 22, 2006. In the moment of realization that one of my lifelong dreams is actually going to come true, and there was no turning back, I felt like a million little beams of electricity were shooting through my body in excitement at the unlimited possibilities and the vast unknown. At the same time, I felt a paradoxical sense of calmness, a sense of clarity, a feeling deep inside that emanated the fact that "Yes, this is the right decision." And lastly, I just felt the need to scream, "HOLY SHIT!" So what now? I've got a month to get my absolute necessities packed into one bag, get my passport renewed, apply for a Canadian Working Holiday Scheme (a.k.a. holiday working visa) from New Zealand Immigration and research the things I think I'd like to discover and experience in New Zealand...

1 Comments:

At 4:09 p.m., October 23, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Dee

Glad to see someone getting stuck into their life's ambitions. I'm a kiwi who lives in Auckland and am more than happy to help you out with some local advice.

If you are staying here for ten months you will probably want to stay in a flat (you might say share house?) and then you can take overnight trips to explore the rest of the country.

My comment would be that we are all pretty friendly and willing to help travellers, especially Canadians, find some adventure down here so take advantage of that and talk to everyone.

Cheers

Hansel Dunlop
hansel@interpretthis.org

 

Post a Comment

<< Home